Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

More Gender Confusion

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
the anti-poon

Male Posts : 707

More Gender Confusion Empty
PostSubject: More Gender Confusion   More Gender Confusion Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2010, 11:01 am

So A couple of yeas ago I purchased a ball python that was amazingly high yellow and orange colored for a normal. Some argued it could be a dull pastel. I kept it for a while and eventually got it sexed. She popped a female and I am not positive if she was probed. I don't remember really. She was just accepted as a female. She has always had some trouble eating in the winter, but I didn't think much of it. Sometimes they are just finicky in the winter. She has started to ignore food again this winter sooooo I grabbed her up and popped her and sperm plugs came out lol. So lucy is no longer a female. If anyone knows some one that wants a breeding sized ready to go male normal with some cool patterns, let me know lol.
Back to top Go down
pachillaliz

PostSubject: Re: More Gender Confusion   More Gender Confusion Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2010, 12:37 pm

Thats sucks! But I'll keep my ears open for you!
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

PostSubject: Re: More Gender Confusion   More Gender Confusion Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2010, 1:41 pm

I remember she was hard to "read" when I tried to pop and probe for you last year. That sucks. I like that snake but already have a normal male of my own that doesn't have any place in my breeding projects right now. I'll keep my ears open, too.
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
abeeler_18

Female Posts : 6

PostSubject: how much??   More Gender Confusion Icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2010, 7:44 pm

How much are you asking? and do you have a picture of him?? I have some females i would like to breed.
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

PostSubject: Re: More Gender Confusion   More Gender Confusion Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2010, 12:05 pm

Dagan has ended up with him. If you have some females you want to breed. I have a male pastel that is ready to go. You can bring a female over any time and we can see what happens. I have a friends mojave male at the moment.
Back to top Go down
abeeler_18

PostSubject: Re: More Gender Confusion   More Gender Confusion Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2010, 1:15 pm

ok that dont sound to bad. lol this may be a silly question but will you charge me a stud fee?? also I have one female that is alittle smaller she was at 1100 grams but may have lost alittle weight. I would like to breed her but she maybe to small what do you think about that??
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

PostSubject: Re: More Gender Confusion   More Gender Confusion Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2010, 2:47 pm

I wouldn't do it just because there is a risk with it. I do firmly believe that animals know when they are ready. If they were in the wild and a young supple female ran across a horny male, it would happen. she might not put out a lot of eggs, hell they might all be duds, but the risk end is she will usually stop eating. She will lose more weight. She might be too small to carry full sized eggs and they would hurt her trying to come out. In the end it is up to you. Yes I would charge a stud fee of 1 pastel baby. The rest are yours. My phone # is 865 266 0547 You can call me or text me and we can arrange for you to bring a female over, and see who has some fun.
Back to top Go down
PythonPassion

PythonPassion

Female Posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: More Gender Confusion   More Gender Confusion Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2010, 7:30 pm

abeeler_18 wrote:
ok that dont sound to bad. lol this may be a silly question but will you charge me a stud fee?? also I have one female that is alittle smaller she was at 1100 grams but may have lost alittle weight. I would like to breed her but she maybe to small what do you think about that??

I definitely would not breed the smaller female--most recommend at least 2 years old and 1500 grams, or 3 years old and 1200 grams (though personally I won't breed any female that's under 1500). 8 Ball Pythons has kept records of his breedings and at what size the females were when they first bred--those he bred around 1200 grams tended to give small clutches (4-5 eggs) throughout their life, while those that were 1500 grams at first pairing tended to have small clutches at first, but as they aged, their clutches got bigger.

Either way, I definitely wouldn't breed any female under 1200 grams--the eggs are supported by the female's extra body fat, and most ball pythons under 1200 grams don't have much, if any, excess body fat to put into a clutch, so you wind up with dud eggs, or small, weak babies that may or may not survive (if the female even ovulates and lays).
Back to top Go down
http://www.pythonpassion.com
abeeler_18

PostSubject: Re: More Gender Confusion   More Gender Confusion Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2010, 9:42 pm

o ok well ill get ahold of you alittle later then when she picks up weight and breed them all ok??
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

PostSubject: Re: More Gender Confusion   More Gender Confusion Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2010, 12:20 am

ok sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More Gender Confusion   More Gender Confusion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More Gender Confusion
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Knox Area Reptile Keepers :: Reptile Discussion :: Snakes-
Jump to: