Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are my Beardies to small?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
avenross

Are my Beardies to small? Empty
PostSubject: Are my Beardies to small?   Are my Beardies to small? Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2011, 4:03 pm

Hello Everyone,
I have two 5 year old beardies and i was looking at them the other day and realized just how small they are compared to the other beardies at the pet stores and such. Is it possible that this is genetics or the size of the cage? I feed them regularly and they have supplimented calcium and vitemins. Their bodies + the tail only equal about 14-15 inches...their bodies are pretty small...I have long UVB light that spands the length on the cage and their basking sight is at a constant 90 degrees with the light on and 80 with the light off. I honestly believe they're well taken care of...but one other thing that bothers me, is that they RARELY RARELY shed now. I know that as their age increases, the sheding process decreases, but should it really decrease this much?
Thanks Everyone,
Rachel

Last edited by avenross on March 26th 2011, 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko

DaganGecko

Female Posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Are my Beardies to small?   Are my Beardies to small? Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2011, 7:06 pm

If we could have a little more information, that would be helpful. First of all, welcome to the forum. Glad to see new people around here, always!

I have never kept bearded dragons myself but other members on the forum have. Most of the adult beardeds I see at shows are about the length of a person's forearm, not counting the tail. So we're looking at about 15 to 24 inches in length.

They need UV light to bask in. UV light is usually a fluorescent bulb. There are "regular" light bulbs at the pet store that advertise themselves as being uv, but I believe they are not adequate. Most of them are just heat lamps. The basking spot needs to be pretty hot--like 90 degrees F or so. Their diet should consist of a variety of greens, calcium supplementation, and insects. Remember that they cannot absorb calcium with vitamin D3 in it without a UV light!

Are they crowding each other? What size is the cage? For two beardeds I would think you need at least a 75 gallon tank's worth of space (remember ground space is more important than height, though they will climb to bask).
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

PostSubject: Re: Are my Beardies to small?   Are my Beardies to small? Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2011, 10:33 pm

Welcome to the forum! Smile

Do you have any pictures so we can see what you mean when you say they look small to you?
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
Ehatcher

Ehatcher

PostSubject: Re: Are my Beardies to small?   Are my Beardies to small? Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2011, 1:10 am

Could it be possible that you have two very rare Rankin's Dragons? they look like Beardeds but they grow considerably smaller. Pogona Brevis are definitely on the rise in popularity!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are my Beardies to small?   Are my Beardies to small? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are my Beardies to small?
Page 1 of 1