Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anything Special I Should Know Before Going?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rren

Rren

Female Posts : 4

Anything Special I Should Know Before Going? Empty
PostSubject: Anything Special I Should Know Before Going?   Anything Special I Should Know Before Going? Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2011, 3:25 pm

I'm planning on heading to Repticon Atlanta to get my first pet reptile (either a baby corn snake or a gargoyle gecko), and of course to see all the cool animals that will be brought in.

It'll be my first time to head to a reptile convention. As silly as it may sound, I was wondering if there was any etiquette I should know about? Specifically:

1. Can I take pictures, or will it make people upset to have their animals photographed?
2. Do people haggle?
3. If you purchase an animal, do dealers supply a container to take it home in? Should I bring my own container?
4. If I purchase an animal, will a dealer place it on hold for me until I leave the convention (rather than carrying it around the con with me)?
5. Is it okay to chat up dealers about their reptiles when I have little knowledge about them, or should I only talk business and leave it at that?

Also, is there any advice anyone can give me in general before I head there? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I just like to prepare myself for new situations. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

PostSubject: Re: Anything Special I Should Know Before Going?   Anything Special I Should Know Before Going? Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2011, 6:51 pm

It's been a while since I've been to a show, but here are my answers Wink

1. Absolutely. And if you go, please do take lots of pics so that the rest of us who aren't there can enjoy the show vicariously through your photos!

2. Some do. Though if you want to haggle a price it might be better to do so when the show is nearing closing time because some sellers would prefer getting less than their posted sales price than have to bag the animal up and take it back home. Others are very firm on their prices.

3. Yeah, the seller will provide you with a cloth bag, deli cup or other container to transport your new animal home.

4. I think most will but don't quote me on that.

5. I see no reason why that would be a problem. Smile Some are certainly chattier than others.

Other than that, I would just say don't be like me and feel that you MUST go home with something new regardless of how hard a hit it would take on your bank account. lol
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
jasonnorthern1979

Male Posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: Anything Special I Should Know Before Going?   Anything Special I Should Know Before Going? Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2011, 7:32 pm

I am thinking about going to that show myself
Back to top Go down
Rren

Rren

Female Posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Anything Special I Should Know Before Going?   Anything Special I Should Know Before Going? Icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2011, 7:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll take lots of pictures, I'm really excited!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anything Special I Should Know Before Going?   Anything Special I Should Know Before Going? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anything Special I Should Know Before Going?
Page 1 of 1