Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Feeding Debate

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kimmie79

Female Posts : 22

Feeding Debate Empty
PostSubject: Feeding Debate   Feeding Debate Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2011, 12:36 pm

You all have been so helpful so heres another question. I'm feeding my red tail boa once a week and she seems to be doing fine with it but my bf is feeding our ball python twice a week I thought I had read somewhere that it wasnt good to over feed them but he seems to think that if the snake didnt want it it would'nt take it. Should I be offering the boa more food or is just one of those things you have to play by ear?? Confused i
Back to top Go down
PythonPassion

PythonPassion

Female Posts : 365

Feeding Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Debate   Feeding Debate Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2011, 6:30 pm

Granted, my expertise tends to lie more with ball pythons rather than boas, so hopefully someone with more boa experience will chime in here. Wink

However, as a general rule, younger snakes can be fed more often than older animals since the young'uns are still growing. Most recommend feeding a baby ball python once every 5-7 days, and older adult ball pythons once every 7-10 days. My guess with a boa would be similar. If your boa isn't acting aggressive, I would say your feeding schedule is spot on.

Overfeeding can cause obesity, and can be very harmful to snakes, as it can lead to other health complications. Boas and pythons can be especially prone to obesity since they are lazier, heavier-bodied, more "sit and wait" type predators than are colubrids, so you should definitely keep an eye on any you're feeding more often than once very 5-7 days. If you begin to see the scales stretch enough to see skin between them, chances are, you're over-feeding them, and they should be cut back on frequency of meals in order to maintain a healthy weight. Ball pythons can have odd feeding habits: while some are known to be"finicky" feeders, others will take anything and everything you throw at them, whether they are really "hungry" or not; those that feed when they aren't hungry are more prone to obesity and resulting health problems.

Of course, feeder type also plays a role in their weight as well. If you're using mice rather than rats, mice have smaller bones and internal organs than do rats. Mice provide more fat and less protein, and the snake may well feel hungry if feeding on mice because the feeder is providing less nutrition. That's not to say mice are bad, just that rats are typically better if you can get ahold of them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pythonpassion.com
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

Feeding Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Debate   Feeding Debate Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2011, 11:08 pm

^ What she said. Smile

Do keep in mind that snakes do the brunt of their growing in the first year or so of life and if you maintenance feed (offering only minimal feedings and minimally sized feeder animals) then it's bound to affect their overall size/health as they mature into adults. Snakes are opportunistic feeders and feed more frequently during their first year. If your boa is still a juvenile, you might consider feeding more frequently but if she's growing at a good pace and appears content with the weekly schedule then there's really no reason to change anything.
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
kimmie79

Feeding Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Debate   Feeding Debate Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2011, 8:45 pm

Thanks! So far even though he's being fed twice every week the ball python seems great no stretching of the scales or anything but I think he's gonna be cut back to once a week, time to put my foot down lol! They're both eating small rats and the boa seems like she's doing fine on that, however I may offer her an extra once or twice a month and see how that goes I hate to think that she's going hungry so I'll play with it a little. I actually talked to a man that had an older ball python the other day and he said he only fed it like every six weeks or so that seemed excessive to me, I know ours has refused food for up to a month during the winter but it wasn't for lack of trying on our part lol!
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

Feeding Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Debate   Feeding Debate Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2011, 9:30 pm

kimmie79 wrote:
Thanks! So far even though he's being fed twice every week the ball python seems great no stretching of the scales or anything but I think he's gonna be cut back to once a week, time to put my foot down lol! They're both eating small rats and the boa seems like she's doing fine on that, however I may offer her an extra once or twice a month and see how that goes I hate to think that she's going hungry so I'll play with it a little. I actually talked to a man that had an older ball python the other day and he said he only fed it like every six weeks or so that seemed excessive to me, I know ours has refused food for up to a month during the winter but it wasn't for lack of trying on our part lol!

If the snake refuses food for 6 weeks or more that's fine but if that guy is only offering food every 6 weeks, I'd have a problem with that. Male balls do tend to go through long fasts from time to time, especially during the breeding season, but food should always be offered on a regular basis. I offer food to my older snakes on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
jasonnorthern1979

Male Posts : 27

Feeding Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Debate   Feeding Debate Icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2011, 4:12 pm

I also offer a med. to lrg. once a week to a week and a half and his is growing just fine, never aggressive and only doesn't eat during shedding and from early Jan. through Feb.
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

Male Posts : 707

Feeding Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Debate   Feeding Debate Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2011, 12:30 pm

WEll it also depends on what size rat\mouse you are feeding your animals. I have people come into work ALL THE TIME who are feeding their six foot boa small rats because. "I don't want to bloat him." Yes that is what he told me.....I feed my ball pythons usually once ever other week because they get huge meals. My babies first meal was a rat crawler. I think that is what it is called, step above fuzzy but not weaned. My brazilian rainbow has to be watched or he will eat himself to obesity. very quickly. I would simply pay attention to your animal. Just like humans you can tell when a snake is obese or anorexic.
Back to top Go down
kimmie79

Feeding Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Debate   Feeding Debate Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2011, 10:18 pm

Thanks everyone!! Very helpful!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feeding Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Debate   Feeding Debate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feeding Debate
Page 1 of 1