Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
boggylizard

The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act Empty
PostSubject: The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act   The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2012, 12:20 am

So I was wondering if anyone else out there felt the pinch of the four snakes added to the Lacey Act. Most of my friends know I was planning on breeding Burmese Pythons. Though I am blessed to work with many different kinds of snakes and lizards, my burms are definitely my most valuable and represented my greatest return in the future. I still see people posting them on KS and Fauna and say that they will ship nation wide. I'm not really sure what to think because these ads are dated for today. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else was affected.

Back to top Go down
PythonPassion

PythonPassion

Female Posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act   The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2012, 5:06 pm

Well, as for the ads, as far as I know, law hasn't actually passed yet, it's just expected to pass once it's signed off on (I'm thinking in February sometime?).

And though I don't keep burms or any of the other 3 large constrictors, I still feel your pain. I can only imagine the number of burms that have already been bred this season, and now they can no longer sell those offspring once they hatch this spring/summer (at least across state lines). And with burms producing 20-60 eggs in a clutch, that could be a lot of babies with lots of little mouths to feed. Sucks for the entire reptile population as a whole, though, because I fear they'll want to add all pythons next, which will affect even more people. This is just a frist step for them, and a stepping stone to add other "exotics" in general to their list. Taking away all of our rights and freedoms, slowly but surely. Pissed Off
Back to top Go down
http://www.pythonpassion.com
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

PostSubject: Re: The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act   The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2012, 5:23 pm

From what I read, I think you've got 60 days until it actually goes into full effect and that's why people are selling off whatever they have while they can.
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
boggylizard

PostSubject: Re: The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act   The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2012, 11:09 pm

I didn't know about the 60 days. I'm really not sure what to do. I could sell the burms I have and probably make a good amount on them though nowhere near what they are worth. On the other hand, if I keep them, I will probably be the only person in the state with hypo and bel burms. First breeding will produce hypo het albino het granite. After that, the stuff I can produce will be pretty sick. I've been so exited about these projects for so long that it just breaks my heart now. I don't want to be the one stuck with 20 to 60 very expensive burms that I can't get rid of. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
PythonPassion

PythonPassion

Female Posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act   The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2012, 1:08 am

That's a tough call. If you do keep them and you are one of the few in Tennessee with them, then most everyone in Tennessee that wants one will have to get them from you (so guaranteed customers if people can afford them). On the other hand, if you aren't able to sell offspring down the road, you'd be stuck with a bunch of babies--though Fins -n- Skins might be willing to buy them (at wholesale price of course, not retail). However, if you have a buyer for the breeders now and can make some money on them (or at least recoup what you've spent in feeders), you won't have to worry about selling babies later, whether you have buyers for babies or not.

Again, the law isn't going into effect quite yet, so you still have a little time to decide.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pythonpassion.com
boggylizard

PostSubject: Re: The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act   The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2012, 1:31 am

Another problem, though, is that my burms are some of our favorite snakes. McKayla would be extremely upset if we sold Ivory. She's almost like one of the family.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act   The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The new constrictors added to the Lacey Act
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Knox Area Reptile Keepers :: Reptile Discussion :: Snakes-
Jump to: