Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DIY: housing for two tanks idea

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MaryJane

MaryJane

Female Posts : 83

DIY:  housing for two tanks idea Empty
PostSubject: DIY: housing for two tanks idea   DIY:  housing for two tanks idea Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2009, 7:44 am

I just wanted to get some feed back on a idea of mine. I'm wanting to build a cabient for two 55 gallon snake tanks. What I want is a cabient with two doors. I want two shelves inside of it. I want to be able to place the snake supplies on the bottom floor of the cabient so I will need the second shelf to sit up a bit higher. I want the shelves to slide out so I can lift the grates for cleaning inside and for handling and feeding time. I want two small holes in the back for pushing wires threw so you can't see them. I want the doors to slide back inside the cabient to be able to show off the tanks. Lee's dad is terrified of snakes so I need to be able to hide them from view whenever he visits or stays for babysitting. So that's why I want doors so I can close them to hide the snakes when needed.

My questions are how hard would this be? What would be the easiest way to do this? I was thinking of going to home dept or somewhere and buying a generic bathroom sink cabient and conerting it to do what I want. Also would I be able to have the tanks slide out of the cabient without it tipping over from the weight? That's my biggest concern. If not what would be some other ways of accomplishing this? I'm wanting to get this project done because lee wants a red tail boa and I want a corn snake but with his dad spending so much time in our house we don't want to bring a snake in. We want the tanks in the livingroom cause that's where we spend most of our time and we don't have room in the other rooms cause I'm storing stuff from storage in them.

I'm going to check around for pricing cabients as this would be ideal for me because were not carpenters lol. Maybe goodwill or a second hand supply store sells cabients?? If the price is to steep I won't be able to do this but I really want to!!
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

DIY:  housing for two tanks idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY: housing for two tanks idea   DIY:  housing for two tanks idea Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2009, 11:55 am

Hmm.. It sounds like a good idea but rather than buying a pre-built cabinet you'd probably save money if you found plans for a cabinet (or snake enclosure) online and then buy the materials from Home Depot or Lowes. It would probably be cheaper to get the materials this way and they can cut the boards to size for you.

I'm not sure if you could slide tanks out safely without anchoring the whole structure to the wall..?

I'm sure some of the other DIYers will chime in here when they're on and be much more helpful than me. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/

DIY: housing for two tanks idea
Page 1 of 1