Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How did you get into snakes?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WTFCas

WTFCas

Female Posts : 4

How did you get into snakes? Empty
PostSubject: How did you get into snakes?   How did you get into snakes? Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2012, 1:28 pm

I always love hearing about how people first got interested in their pets. Whether its a childhood dream of owning a snake or something a friend got you interested in, I thought it would be cool to hear about how everyone got their first snake or any reptile.

For me, I had always wanted a pet snake. Of course my Mom said, "ABSOLUTELY NOT, I WILL KILL YOU AND YOUR SNAKE IF YOU BRING ONE IN THE HOUSE!" So that stopped me for the first 18 years of my life. Then my ex was terrified of snakes. So that was a deal breaker as well until I met my current boyfriend who was pretty much my enabler. I mentioned one day I'd always wanted a pet snake and the next day we went out and picked up a pair of ball pythons. I was a little uneasy with the pair at first, especially since I spent my childhood watching Steve Irwin get bitten in the face every other episode. It took awhile before I could comfortably handle both of them. But after spending hours with them and getting to know what their personalities are like I wouldn't trade them for anything. Except for Vlad, I'd trade his ill tempered butt for a PS3 any day.
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

Male Posts : 707

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into snakes?   How did you get into snakes? Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2012, 10:58 am

So I have a pretty interesting tail to tell about this one. I lived in down town knoxville at the time. Just a couple of blocks of ut campus. I was outside writing, whether for a paper for class or just writing idk. This guy comes rolling up on a bike, his name was dumpster Dan to everyone who knew him. He was a pro dumpster diver. He asks me if I will watch his bicycle while he goes and get s a tv that some one left by a dumpster. I said sure, and the guy proceeds to stuff it in the flower bed and try to hide it lol. He comes back and tells me the tv works fine and we start discussing dumpster diving and what i had found and what he had found. He finally comes out with his weirdest and top dumpster find of a snake, in its cage with broken light buld. I was like wow thats pretty crazy do you still have it? I thought he was bullshittin me. Nope he comes rolling back up with a sub adult ballpython around his neck that he named duke. I mad eup some elaborate story about how my snake when I was a kid got ran over and I cried and never had a snake again.......blah blah blah. He said, " well I got some bills that are coming up and I might be willing to part with him." So I get a twenty long with sliding lid, a lamp with a heat bulb in it, water dish and a decoration, plus a 2 feet tall by 2 feet wide by one foot deep chameleon cage in great shape and a ball python for 75 bucks. This ball python, for those of you who know, turned out to be mary jane. My first snake. Now I am at almost 16 snakes at my place, and MJ is still my favorite.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into snakes?   How did you get into snakes? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2012, 11:44 pm

I think it was just the forbidden fruit aspect for me. Wink I wasn't allowed to have snakes when I was young because they were "slimy" and "evil". lol I got a job working in a pet shop and fell in love with them. Ball pythons are, by far, my favorites but I have a soft spot for all snakes. They're wonderful pets. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
SLTHRY1

Male Posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into snakes?   How did you get into snakes? Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2012, 9:45 am

Hello,
Well about 6 years ago a guy I worked with bought his step son a baby normal ball python without telling the wife first. As you may have guessed when she got home she freaked out. He came to work the next day with the little fellow in his tank begging anyone to take him. My wife and i was glad to take him off his hands. I now have four snakes in my collection( 2 normal ball pythons, 1 pastel boa, 1 albino burmese). Three of my snakes were rescues out of really bad conditons. My female ball python survived a house fire. As soon as I got her I had to put her in the vet for three weeks. My albino burm had a good life untill the original owner got deployed and was left with some family members who new nothing or cared about the snake. He is 11 feet long and a little under weight but we are working on that. He is absolutely a wonderful calm snake. Thats my story, hope you enjoyed.
-Chad Smile
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

Male Posts : 707

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into snakes?   How did you get into snakes? Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2012, 7:46 pm

Was the owner of the burmese named josh by any chance? Would you be interested in a female albino granite burmese my girlfriend picked it up at a show and has now lost interest in it. she is still small but eats well.
Back to top Go down
SLTHRY1

Male Posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into snakes?   How did you get into snakes? Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 2:04 am

I am possibly interested in the female burm. Can you tell me how old she is and the price.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into snakes?   How did you get into snakes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you get into snakes?
Page 1 of 1