Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

switching baby bps from mice to rats?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
laughing dog

laughing dog

Male Posts : 68

switching baby bps from mice to rats? Empty
PostSubject: switching baby bps from mice to rats?   switching baby bps from mice to rats? Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2010, 4:38 am

im anticipating the switching of my four bps to rats to be a chore for at least one, maybe two. any ideas, or hints for me in this anyone? i had no probs switching to f/t really, so i could be over worrying, but better to ask others instead of being left holding the rat bag, if youve already been through this stuff. the kings did fine with the switch, though the rats have brought a bold the little piggle beast in my male mex thayer out. so whats everyones input on this, is it as hard as alot say it is, or just the same as switching to f/t?
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

PostSubject: Re: switching baby bps from mice to rats?   switching baby bps from mice to rats? Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2010, 2:25 pm

Never had any issues with any of my balls graduating to rats. In fact, of all the snakes I own I have only one that won't accept rats and that's my male jungle carpet and he's just an oddball. He prefers the smell of mice to rats. I've tricked him in the past by putting the rat in a mouse tub for a while before offering it to him. I wouldn't anticipate any trouble switching to rats.
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
laughing dog

laughing dog

PostSubject: Re: switching baby bps from mice to rats?   switching baby bps from mice to rats? Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2010, 2:07 am

thanks a bunch, as i was just wondering if it was a big prob for people i knew, and will try the one tommorow, when i feed the kings. its good to know its not as big a prob for all as ive heard scary stories about having to feed a big ball many mice at a time to feed it well (seems a waste of time unless you love to watch them eat alot).
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

Male Posts : 707

PostSubject: Re: switching baby bps from mice to rats?   switching baby bps from mice to rats? Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 12:29 am

my year old female just wont switch to rats from mice. they must not smell the same. I have scented the rat with mice ......doesn't work. I am not"starving" her lol and going to piut a live small rat int he tank tomorrow. I know it sounds cruel but any animal will eat just about anything i it is hungry ;-) i do it with my cat and cheap cat food if she snubbs it.
Back to top Go down
laughing dog

laughing dog

PostSubject: Re: switching baby bps from mice to rats?   switching baby bps from mice to rats? Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2010, 2:23 am

hmmm..... we will have to tell each other how it is working out. p.s. that guy had an accident, and thats why he wasnt able to get in contact with, but im still hopefully supposed to go over to say hi, and see how he is doing, and his femball.
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

Male Posts : 707

PostSubject: Re: switching baby bps from mice to rats?   switching baby bps from mice to rats? Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2010, 12:05 pm

yeah i tried a small rat live int he tank while blowing the smell of a mouse down at lucy, she wanted nothing to do with the rat....nither did mary jane.....or th pastel......so my little brazilian rainbow at a small rat lol.
Back to top Go down
laughing dog

laughing dog

PostSubject: Re: switching baby bps from mice to rats?   switching baby bps from mice to rats? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2010, 3:54 pm

making me nervous as its feeding time today through this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: switching baby bps from mice to rats?   switching baby bps from mice to rats? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

switching baby bps from mice to rats?
Page 1 of 1