Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UPDATE, may need help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rollincoal420

Male Posts : 99

UPDATE,  may need help Empty
PostSubject: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2010, 9:24 am

Well the King finally ate last week a small mouse, and yesterday 2 quales!! I think he just needed to escape from his cage for a day. The only problem with him is he doesnt constrict! WTF He just stuck the quales and started munchin while they wr still alive.
How do I get him to start constricting and killing dinner again?

Also, this one may be for Sandy. Sweet Pea ate for the first time yesterday, but the male still doesnt want to eat. He looks interested at first but always turns away. Whats the trick with him?
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2010, 2:20 pm

Rollincoal420 wrote:
Well the King finally ate last week a small mouse, and yesterday 2 quales!! I think he just needed to escape from his cage for a day. The only problem with him is he doesnt constrict! WTF He just stuck the quales and started munchin while they wr still alive.
How do I get him to start constricting and killing dinner again?

Also, this one may be for Sandy. Sweet Pea ate for the first time yesterday, but the male still doesnt want to eat. He looks interested at first but always turns away. Whats the trick with him?

I had a corn that just wouldn't constrict before. He'd just loosely coil and start consuming them while they were still alive (this was when I only had a few snakes and fed everyone live). I would pre-kill his prey for him to curb any potential injuries. That particular corn is now about 8 years old (if not older) and still doesn't strike and coil but he'll gladly eat a freshly killed adult mouse or rat crawler.

As for the JCP baby. He was a slow starter and has always been a bit fickle when it comes to eating. He would never DO anything if we watched. I had to close him up in his tub and let him take the meal overnight. He was taking live fuzzies and they don't pose any threat to the snake at that stage so I was never concerned about that. He doesn't like being monitored. Rolling Eyes You could try putting him in a paper bag along with the fuzzy and leave the bag in his enclosure overnight. It could help to eliminate all distractions except for the food. I wouldn't worry at this point because the move to a new home probably plays a part in this as well and it may simple take some time for him to adjust. If, however, he doesn't perk up and start eating regularly for you please let me know. I'd be happy to trade him out for the other male if you'd like.
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
Rollincoal420

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2010, 10:35 pm

Thats funny about the corn. Ours does the same. So he gets f/t now and I'm switchin the king over too.

I'll try the bag thing tonight while the fuzzy may still be alive. If he doesnt feed for me next friday, I may take you up on the switch. I hate to do it, but I know he will be in better hands as these 2 are the youngest snakes I have kept. I've had a couple yearlings but not this young.

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2010, 10:49 pm

Okay. Just let me know what you'd like to do if he's not working out for you. He and a few of his brothers were pretty stubborn and I can't say I'm surprised that he's being that way again after the move. Never had a single problem out of any of the girls. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Rollincoal420

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 8:50 am

I'm glad to hear its not just me. I tried putting him in a pillow case tied small since I couldnt find a small paper bag, and I found them cuddling this morning. I guess some would have called it kinda cute. No No
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 9:13 am

Hm.. Well, if you want to trade him out for one of the others here it's fine with me. I hate that he's giving you a hard time. I know how frustrating it can be when they're being stubborn. Sad
Back to top Go down
Rollincoal420

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2010, 10:06 am

Well... The king is now eating anything that is not a rat that I have offered him and he attempted to constrict yesterday, not very good but its better than before.

And the little dude ate lastnight, but ol' girl didnt. But she is going into shed. She is definatly growing right along.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2010, 9:40 pm

Rollincoal420 wrote:
Well... The king is now eating anything that is not a rat that I have offered him and he attempted to constrict yesterday, not very good but its better than before.

And the little dude ate lastnight, but ol' girl didnt. But she is going into shed. She is definatly growing right along.

Glad to hear he ate for you. Sometimes it just takes a little extra time for the stubborn ones. Wink
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

Male Posts : 707

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2010, 10:20 pm

or you have to worry about their hearts esplodin :-\
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2010, 1:23 pm

The Anti-Poon wrote:
or you have to worry about their hearts esplodin :-\

Yeah...... Crying
Back to top Go down
Rollincoal420

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2010, 7:10 am

Stubborn little bastard. He's starting to loosen up though. There is another fuzzy in there that Sweat P wouldnt eat cuz of the shed that I'm hopin he would eat and get a little boost to catch up to his sis. He will come down and lick the hell out of it with us right there watchin him. Just hasnt quite grabbed it but he's comming around
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2010, 1:00 pm

At least he's showing some interest in it while you guys are nearby. Here, he wouldn't look at it twice if I was watching him. Rolling Eyes I always had to feed him and leave the room with lights out.
Back to top Go down
Rollincoal420

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2010, 3:08 pm

Yeah. He hangs down from a perch and watches it hard core but doesnt strike yet. But when dinner runs to the other side of the tank, I can even reach in there, he watches my hand real close but doesnt run. I can pick up dinner and toss it under his nose and he is focused right back to it. He will be a KILLER is its the last thing I do. HaHa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE, may need help   UPDATE,  may need help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UPDATE, may need help
Page 1 of 1