Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Controlling Temperature

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bkelm18

Male Posts : 11

Controlling Temperature Empty
PostSubject: Controlling Temperature   Controlling Temperature Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2010, 3:54 pm

I recently built a 3 tub rack for some of my snakes. In the past, I've used lamp dimmers to control my UTHs with good results. However, I've noticed with the rack system, when I remove the tubs, the temp kinda goes screwy since I removed what was holding the heat and it is difficult to adjust back on point. Are there any other options for a small setup like this? Anything I can procure locally? Of course there are the Herpstat/Helix proportional thermostats, but I don't really want to spend $100+ for such a small setup. Anything help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Temperature   Controlling Temperature Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2010, 8:02 pm

There are smaller thermostats available. I've seen some for as little as $30. I've not used them myself so I'm not sure what sort of quality comes in the package.

Google Product Search Results
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
Bkelm18

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Temperature   Controlling Temperature Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2010, 8:14 pm

Yeah I've seen those. Though with the Zoo-Med one I've seen quite a few negative reviews. I was hoping to find something I can pick up locally but looks like I may just end up ordering one of the on/off type t-stats out there.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Temperature   Controlling Temperature Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2010, 8:20 pm

Bkelm18 wrote:
Yeah I've seen those. Though with the Zoo-Med one I've seen quite a few negative reviews. I was hoping to find something I can pick up locally but looks like I may just end up ordering one of the on/off type t-stats out there.

Talk to the local shops and see if they can get it in for you. Might save some shipping expense that way. Wink
Back to top Go down
Ehatcher

Ehatcher

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Temperature   Controlling Temperature Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2010, 12:26 am

Check into Ranco's or Johnson Controllers... Each can be had for under $80. They are not proportional, but instead just On/Off. There is no problem with On/Off IMO... I have my herpstat proportional set for on off and have had zero problems. Plus it helps the thermostat last longer
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Temperature   Controlling Temperature Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2010, 12:36 am

Good point. I got a pre-wired Ranco from www.reptilebasics.com for $80.
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

Male Posts : 707

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Temperature   Controlling Temperature Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2010, 12:49 pm

Do you plan on getting more reptiles int he future? if you plan on getting a larger setup just buy one of the big herpstats. It will do you for all your needs.
Back to top Go down
Bkelm18

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Temperature   Controlling Temperature Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2010, 1:59 pm

Ehatcher wrote:
Check into Ranco's or Johnson Controllers... Each can be had for under $80. They are not proportional, but instead just On/Off. There is no problem with On/Off IMO... I have my herpstat proportional set for on off and have had zero problems. Plus it helps the thermostat last longer

Yeah I've looked into those. I can get them fairly cheap(er) through work. That may be the route I end up going.
Back to top Go down
Bkelm18

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Temperature   Controlling Temperature Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2010, 2:00 pm

the anti-poon wrote:
Do you plan on getting more reptiles int he future? if you plan on getting a larger setup just buy one of the big herpstats. It will do you for all your needs.

Maybe in the distant future, but I'm absolutely out of room in my apartment for more snakes. The main reason I built the rack was so that I could have my coffee table and my dresser top back. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Temperature   Controlling Temperature Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Controlling Temperature
Page 1 of 1