Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Display Rack

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
knox

knox

Male Posts : 78

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2011, 10:43 pm

Just another build of mine. 110 qt bins. I wanted something a bit more visual than the usual racks.

Display Rack DisplayRack
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2011, 11:33 pm

Said it before but I'll say it again. I think it looks great! I love your builds!
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
bowmansreptiles

Male Posts : 46

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2011, 11:52 pm

Are there lids on them? And what is the heating like? ( belly, back, thermostat )
Back to top Go down
knox

knox

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2011, 8:15 am

Thanks, Sandy!

Yes, I used lids. That way, my baby Corn can't get out - or any snake for that matter. I have ventilation holes on 3 sides. Heating - Belly Heat - 1ft section of 11" Flexwatt on each level controlled via Herpstat.

The lids aren't too bothersome with a small collection. If I had 15 snakes, I would have gone lidless, even if it meant being more precise up front on the build. My snakes seem to like the extra height, especially the little Okeetee. She is often found up by the lid, lying on the indent where the latches used to be.

I found some 32 qt tubs at Big Lots the other day. Will probably build something else in the next month or so. I get bored a lot!

Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2011, 8:26 am

Which Big Lots had the bins?
Back to top Go down
knox

knox

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2011, 8:36 am

Kingston Pike, near the Home Depot. They were $8 each - I bought 5. I think they still have some left.

They are latch top, so they do have a small divot in the rim, as well as 2 little holes if you don't use the lids when you remove the lock/latches. However, if I go lidless i will just use some silicone to fill in the 1/8" gap and the holes from the latches.

Lids are much more secure and the tolerances don't have to be as tight, but it sure is more convenient to not use them. Of course, for baby Balls it doesn't matter - they are much bigger than baby Colubrids.
Back to top Go down
knox

knox

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2011, 9:23 am

Here are the new bins, Sandy. I had already taken the lid latches off which you can see to the side:

Display Rack 2011-05-07_20-39-27_389
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2011, 12:39 pm

That's a hard to find bin size! Congrats on finding some! Smile
Back to top Go down
knox

knox

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2011, 3:07 pm

Flexwatt and Herpstat arrived today cheers

Now, where am I going to put another rack? It's hard to house reptiles and still have your place NOT look like a pet store Confused
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2011, 5:10 pm

knox wrote:
Flexwatt and Herpstat arrived today cheers

Now, where am I going to put another rack? It's hard to house reptiles and still have your place NOT look like a pet store Confused

Looking like a pet store isn't a problem. Smelling like one, on the other hand..... Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
knox

knox

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2011, 5:58 pm

Funny stuff, Sandy!

Oh Boy:

Display Rack 2011-05-11_16-20-25_494
Back to top Go down
HerpAlicous

HerpAlicous

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2011, 9:19 pm

Sandy, they sell those same bins at Target. We have some of them, and two of our BPs live in them right now, and the others will when they get big enough. Very Happy I like them a lot. I don't feel like the price was too different at Target, either, but I can't find them separate on their site.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2011, 9:23 pm

HerpAlicous wrote:
Sandy, they sell those same bins at Target. We have some of them, and two of our BPs live in them right now, and the others will when they get big enough. Very Happy I like them a lot. I don't feel like the price was too different at Target, either, but I can't find them separate on their site.

I know Target has that size but I haven't found any 32s without the clips on the ends. I'd like to find the old style without clips. Smile
Back to top Go down
HerpAlicous

HerpAlicous

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2011, 9:46 am

QuietTempest wrote:
HerpAlicous wrote:

I know Target has that size but I haven't found any 32s without the clips on the ends. I'd like to find the old style without clips. Smile

They don't make those anymore. I looked and looked and looked! I think the closest they have are 28qt or 41qt now w/o the clips. It is kind of pain to rip them off, but they are very sturdy containers, and we have had no problem with them so far. Even in the smaller ones we have.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2011, 11:33 am

Thank goodness for places like Big Lots. lol
Back to top Go down
Ehatcher

Ehatcher

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2011, 6:09 pm

yeah, every sterilite or rubbermaid tub that is worth a crap (except the sterilite 6 qts) have latches now.
Back to top Go down
knox

knox

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2011, 9:13 am

Some company is missing out on a whole segment by not making inexpensive tubs just for reptile breeders.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2011, 12:58 pm

lol No kidding!
Back to top Go down
knox

knox

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2011, 12:09 am

Well, I returned the 32 qts and got 3 more 110 qts. I am building a duplicate rack for the 110s.

Display Rack 1042080058_photobucket_31512_

I have run 3" Flexwatt across the top of both racks, so that I can use smaller tubs up there. I finished painting tonight (sorry, no pics yet of finished product) and new, 11" Flexwatt should be here in a couple of days.

I just didn't like the thought of keeping a 4 foot Corn or King in a 32 qt - even though I know people do it all the time.

My next step - in several months when I get my bank account back up - is to cut out the front of each tub and put in a plexi glass window for better viewing.

One thing at a time...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Display Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Display Rack   Display Rack Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Display Rack
Page 1 of 1