Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Building a Rack

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kazzy

Building a Rack Empty
PostSubject: Building a Rack   Building a Rack Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2011, 11:00 pm

I've been discussing building a lidless rack with my boyfriend for my crested geckos. We've gone over what types of materials would withstand the humidity, and I'm still a bit worried.

He brought up something though, and I want to know if anyone has tried this. Heat-Treated Wood (http://composite.about.com/library/PR/2001/bltekes1.htm). It supposedly has a good resistance to humidity, but I am unsure how good of a resistance. I'm reading that it is more cost efficient as well, but I don't want to build something for it only to rot/warp within a year or two. I'm sure I could put some sort of sealant over it to help, but I'm unsure.

So, has anyone heard of Heat-Treated wood, or, better yet, has anyone used it and did it work well?
Back to top Go down
boggylizard

Building a Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building a Rack   Building a Rack Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2011, 11:59 pm

When you say a lidless rack are you meaning one that tubs would slide into? just wondering.
Back to top Go down
Kazzy

Building a Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building a Rack   Building a Rack Icon_minitimeJune 21st 2011, 12:10 am

Yes, no lids on the tubs, the shelves would be the 'lids'.
Back to top Go down
pachillaliz

Building a Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building a Rack   Building a Rack Icon_minitimeJune 21st 2011, 1:24 am

crap that was suppose to be me typing...I hate that my laptop won't let me online I always forget to log in undermy name instead of my husbands lol.

I have considered doing that but with my cresties but with them being arboreal you run a risk of hurting them while opening up the tub if they are on the wood or whatever material you decide on. Just figured I would kinda through my 2 cents in on that just in case you hadn't thought about that, hope it works out good for you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kazzy

Building a Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building a Rack   Building a Rack Icon_minitimeJune 21st 2011, 2:10 am

Actually I have thought about that Smile

Their toes are friction based, and they can't hand up-side-down from the top without a good amount of 'friction' (or places for the little hairs on the toes to catch. I'll probably be sealing the wood no matter what with silicone.
Back to top Go down
HerpAlicous

HerpAlicous

Building a Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building a Rack   Building a Rack Icon_minitimeJune 21st 2011, 10:08 am

Dagan on here just uses those industrial shelving units you can buy at places like Target and Lowe's that are metal. You'd have to use lids, but it's a good way to keep everyone together.
Back to top Go down
Kazzy

Building a Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building a Rack   Building a Rack Icon_minitimeJune 21st 2011, 6:54 pm

Yeah, that's the route I'd take if I don't do the lidless. Lidless is just so much easier, and I plan to have a rather large volume of geckos lol!

I've also considered building one that doesn't use tubs. Just making 'cubbies' for them with a front screen door. Would look really nice. May not be too much more expensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Building a Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building a Rack   Building a Rack Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Building a Rack
Page 1 of 1