Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ball Python

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kimmie79

Female Posts : 22

Ball Python  Empty
PostSubject: Ball Python    Ball Python  Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2011, 8:32 pm

Ok so Bo our very sweet ball python has still not lost the caps on his eyes we've tried soaking, we've kept the humidity in his tank up as much as possible, I've tried soaking him and then taking tape and rolling across his eyes, the vet gave me ointment to apply several times a day and still they wont come off. I know i've talked about it before on here but I'm kinda at my wits end it seems like i've tried every thing thats been suggested and has worked great for other people but hes just not responding to any of it. He's always been very sweet but lately has been hissing and staying out of his hide more often than not. He's burrowing in his shavings making tunnels in them and staying halfway in and out of them. That's a new one for him, he looks great, scales are fine, he's eating fine, I'm really stumped! Unsure
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

Ball Python  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball Python    Ball Python  Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2011, 9:59 pm

I'd avoid tape if I were you. It can cause injury if you're not really, really careful with it. I've had luck using a rubber thumb (like what postal workers might use for sorting through paper). You just swipe it gently across the eye and it usually dislodges the cap.

Is the humidity low in his enclosure? By low I mean below 60%. If so, maybe make him a humid hide so he has somewhere to cram into during his next shed cycle. I've used plastic food storage tubs with a hole cut in the side. Just line the inside with moist paper towels or sphagnum moss and close the lid. The hole should be just large enough for him to enter and exit. It doesn't have to be very roomy. Balls love to find a cozy hide where they feel secure on all sides. As long as the humidity is where it needs to be for him, the caps should come off with the next shed.

I would also caution against soaking too frequently. The water can strip away essential oils in the snake's skin that help them to shed. If you're going to soak, be sure to do it after a shed cycle rather than at the start or in the middle of a shed cycle. Of course, if the snake decides to soak in his bowl that's fine during any point during his shed cycles. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
kimmie79

Female Posts : 22

Ball Python  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball Python    Ball Python  Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2011, 11:52 pm

We've switched his substrate and are misting his tank daily trying to keep it up around 60-65%. It did seem to help with the last shed still wasn't complete but he had an easier time, just didnt lose the caps. I'll try the humid hide thing and hopefully they'll come off I know he's gotta be as tired of me bothering him as he is of having them on there lol! Thanks!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ball Python  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball Python    Ball Python  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ball Python
Page 1 of 1