Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PythonPassion

PythonPassion

Female Posts : 365

One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Empty
PostSubject: One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .   One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2011, 11:56 pm

OK, so my normal girl, Azrielle (the one bred to the pastel), is definitely glowing. She shed about a week ago, but I didn't really notice the glowing until tonight. She's definitely got the blushing around her head.
One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Glowing23-23-2011

One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Glowing13-23-2011

And I think my ghost is glowing--it's so hard to tell with her! One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Laugh I didn't really capture it in the pics (they seemed to have gone darker), but her head is almost white-looking, but spotty. Sort of like a desert-ghost-type color? Anyway, it definitely looks a little different, and based on sheds, she should be glowing by now. She definitely seems to have what I call the "glowing glare" when snapping pics--I don't know why, but they seem to put off this glare in certain areas when the flash hits them. She shed about 10 days before Azrielle, so if that was her pre-ov shed, she should ovulate about 10 days before Azrielle does.
One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Glowing33-23-2011

One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Glowing23-23-2011

One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Glowing13-23-2011

Here's to hoping for some ovulations soon!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pythonpassion.com
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

PostSubject: Re: One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .   One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2011, 8:30 am

Yay! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
HerpAlicous

HerpAlicous

PostSubject: Re: One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .   One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2011, 10:20 am

Still learning what all these terms mean with the BP's, but yeay!
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko

DaganGecko

Female Posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .   One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2011, 10:47 am

That's awesome, Pam. They all look great. I've discovered a new love for ghosts, haha. I think they look better in person than in pics, similar to albinos. Smile
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

PostSubject: Re: One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .   One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2011, 1:27 pm

HerpAlicous wrote:
Still learning what all these terms mean with the BP's, but yeay!

"Glowing" is when their coloration lightens before they ovulate. It can be really dramatic in some snakes, too, and it's like an entirely different snake sitting in the enclosure/tub. I love it when they glow. Very Happy "Ovulation" is when the follicles they've been building are transformed to eggs. It's easy to miss it if you're not checking in on the female regularly because it only lasts for a short period of time before the swelling goes back down. The female will look like she swallowed a football when it happens. lol
Back to top Go down
PythonPassion

PythonPassion

PostSubject: Re: One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .   One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2011, 7:18 pm

Thanks guys!

Dagan: Yeah, my ghost definitely looks better in person than in pics. They're kinda hard to photograph anyway, and this girl certainly doesn't help matters--she won't sit still! LOL I can usually mamange to snap 2-3 photos of her when I first get her out; after that, she's moving around way too much to get any good shots. Pissed Off But it's the same with albinos--they look great in person, but if you use flash at all, it tries to wash them out some (or at least for me it does, with the few I've had the opportunity to photograph Razz ). LOL If I ever get me an albino, maybe I can practice photographing them, but the few I've taken didn't turn out well. haha
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko

DaganGecko

Female Posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .   One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2011, 8:38 pm

I think you take good photos! Personally I think the pics would look less washed out if you had them on a neutral background, like black, white, or gray. But they are nice and clear and labeled. Smile I'd like to compare your and my ghosts someday (and doesn't Sandy have one too?) since mine is supposedly a "yellow ghost," which I'd never heard of before I bought it. Hahaha.
Back to top Go down
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

PostSubject: Re: One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .   One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2011, 10:37 pm

Nope, no ghosts in my collection though that may change in the future. There are several varieties of ghost/hypo BPs (orange, green, butterscotch to name a few) but I'm not really that familiar with any of them.
Back to top Go down
PythonPassion

PythonPassion

PostSubject: Re: One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .   One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2011, 5:19 pm

DaganGecko wrote:
I think you take good photos! Personally I think the pics would look less washed out if you had them on a neutral background, like black, white, or gray. But they are nice and clear and labeled. Smile I'd like to compare your and my ghosts someday (and doesn't Sandy have one too?) since mine is supposedly a "yellow ghost," which I'd never heard of before I bought it. Hahaha.

Well, thanks much! But you've not seen my pics of albinos! Wink Back when David Evans still lived in Tennessee, he had an albino that he let me "try" to take pics of. LOL They turned out horribly. And you still don't see all the pics I throw away. 90% of the pics I take get moved to the trash. LOL Unless I'm outside . . . lighting is much better there. haha

And I've done some shoots on neutral backgrounds . . . actually all the indoor photos I take are on a white background 99% of the time, but I photoshop the background to a different color (I don't alter the snakes' color at all, only the background color). That's just part of my color-coding. Wink And laugh if you must, but my OCD is perfectly in check. Very Happy LMAO When I am taking pics for for-sale animals though, I leave them on a white background.

The next time we have a herp get-together, we can compare ghosts if mine isn't gravid by then. haha As Sandy said, there's lots of different types of ghosts, and I'm not sure if they are all compatible or not. I'm sure some of them aren't, I just don't know which ones aren't. Wink Mine is supposedly an orange ghost, though she does seem to be "greening up" somewhat the older she gets. She does still look nice though (or at least I think she does hehe) and still looks more like an orange ghost (or at least the pics I've seen of other orange ghosts) than a green ghost. It's just spotty areas that look greener when she's close to shed and more orange when she's freshly shed. Anyway, I've heard of yellow ghosts before,a nd I actually think they are quite nice! Wink My specific reasoning for the buying an orange one was for the honeybee thing . . . and of course, yellow ghosts were a bit harder to find. Though a yellow ghost might also make for some beautiful honeybees, I've just never seen any (that I know of). Youmight have to make that a project of your own one day! haha I bet yellow ghost honeybees would be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .   One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . . Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One Glowing Girl, Maybe Two . . .
Page 1 of 1