Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Not off topic - Bedding

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
msskellington

Not off topic - Bedding Empty
PostSubject: Not off topic - Bedding   Not off topic - Bedding Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2009, 10:08 am

What kind of bedding do you use for your animals and what kind of animals do you use it for, and why?

I have used just about everything, and am still looking for something that I absolutely love.

Next on the list is the fir/sphagnum peat moss mix thing....trying to keep up humidity.

How about you guys?
Back to top Go down
Kazzy

PostSubject: Re: Not off topic - Bedding   Not off topic - Bedding Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2009, 3:27 pm

It all depends on the species...
Like, for cresties...I use either paper towels (for babies and breeding females) or a mix of Eco-Earth and moss.
For Leos, paper towels, or I'd like to use ceramic tiles. Naja had a cool post on the old forum about how to set up a cool naturalistic thing for them as well, which I may try in the future.
Tegus I used cypress mulch mixed with eco-earth and sand. This was good for humidity and borrowing.
The list goes on. I avoid any pine/ceder or brand name sands (like Calci-sand, because it clumps in the body of the animal if ingested).
Back to top Go down
Ehatcher

Ehatcher

PostSubject: Re: Not off topic - Bedding   Not off topic - Bedding Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2009, 12:35 am

I use paper towel for my leopard geckos. Its not because of impaction reasons, its mainly because it is EXTREMELY easy to clean, keep clean, and keep tabs on feeders ect. I dont condone using particle substrates for Leopard Geckos, but using a particle substrate while practicing proper supplementation and husbandry will generally not lead to impaction. I would never house a baby or a juvenile Leo on a particle substrate, period.

For the bearded dragon, I am keeping it on paper towels right now, but i will probably move to slate when i move it into the 75 gallon enclosure.
Back to top Go down
Naja

PostSubject: Re: Not off topic - Bedding   Not off topic - Bedding Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2009, 10:12 pm

For my leopard geckos I didn't use a substrate....just the bare bottom of the tubs.......I would wash the tubs about once a week. It is extremely easy and extremely sanitary...not to mention easy on the wallet.
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

Male Posts : 707

PostSubject: Re: Not off topic - Bedding   Not off topic - Bedding Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2009, 5:40 pm

For crested geckos I have a live tank terrarium setup, for ball pythons I have a fancy cypress mulch setup I got from an orchid company in south Carolina, and for a cat, kitty little quick clumping.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not off topic - Bedding   Not off topic - Bedding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not off topic - Bedding
Page 1 of 1