Knox Area Reptile Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knox Area Reptile Keepers

Knoxville Area Reptile Keepers, or KARK, has been put in place to provide a safe haven for reptile keepers and breeders to connect with others who share their enthusiasm in herpetoculture.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
QuietTempest
Admin
QuietTempest

Female Posts : 1558

Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Empty
PostSubject: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2009, 5:09 pm

Well, like the title says..

I find myself with several corns, a few jungles, and a couple balls that just don't want to take that first feed and it can be oh so aggravating trying the different methods at each feed and hoping for the best. Many of my babies have come around and have started taking meals but they've taken their sweet time about it. I figured this was a good topic for discussion, so...

What have you tried when you've had a problem feeder? What has worked for you?
Back to top Go down
http://quiettempestreptiles.yolasite.com/
herpinjim

Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2010, 10:21 am

With problem feeders I try squeezing brain tissue through the sinus of the mouse. I have also used scent manipulation, rubbing different odors on the food items( chicken,fish, and other herps) You can also try placing the snake in a deli cup with a live pink, its a bit stressful for the snake, but sometimes works.
Back to top Go down
Rollincoal420

Male Posts : 99

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2010, 5:14 pm

Hey, Jim

What about not so much, a first meal, but an adult. About 1 month after shed after winter burm, proper temps, 80deg. active, just refuses to eat.

Cali King about 3-4 yrs old
Back to top Go down
herpinjim

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2010, 6:30 pm

Is 80 the ambient or the basking spot? If its the basking try bumping it up a few degrees. If its a male perhaps he's more interested in breeding than feeding. Make sure he has a good hide spot as well. I wouldn't worry too much unless he starts losing weight. It seems a bit strange for a adult cal king to not want to feed they usually have strong feeding responses.
Good luck
Back to top Go down
Rollincoal420

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2010, 6:43 pm

Thats ambient. 75 on the cool and 85ish in the basking. He has a water bowl large enough to hide under, which he does from time to time on the cool side and a large rock well supported on the high side. Its a male. I just got him from a guy that wasnt doing very well in the beginning of last month and I have been looking forward to feeding this guy as I have seen many different accounts of these guy's appetites. How long will it take or is there anything I can do to stop him from being horny?

Does anyone need a King Stud service? haha
Back to top Go down
herpinjim

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2010, 8:22 pm

If you feed pre-killed you can try live, but I wouldn't leave it in the cage without supervision You don't want the tables to turn and have your snake become rodent food. If your feeding live try prekilled. Make sure it doesn't have any type of infection or injury to its mouth. If problems persist and it starts to lose weight I would take it to a vet.
Back to top Go down
Rollincoal420

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2010, 8:27 pm

I've tried all of the above. Live, F/T, P/K. I'll keep an eye on his weight and hope his hormones dye down soon.
Back to top Go down
herpinjim

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2010, 7:51 pm

I'm out of ideas. Cals are usually great feeders.
Back to top Go down
Rollincoal420

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2010, 8:46 pm

I'll just give him time. I've heard of people having them not eat for 5 months. Maybe ur right, maybe he's just horney
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

Male Posts : 707

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 6:02 pm

you could always go on craigs list and get some one's iguana or gecko they are getting rid of and try and feed him that. I know lots of people are against feeding your king other "pets" but if he isn't eating I would try and feed him anything. See if Sandy has some still born or dead snakes left in a freezer, or ask around on diff forums for anything like that. I dont have anything spare i can offer you to try and feed him with. Try talking to the owners of pet stores around here and see if any of them hve any clutches about to hatch and ask if they get still borns if you can have them to try and get your king to eat.
Back to top Go down
Rollincoal420

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 6:10 pm

I'll keep an eye out on CL, I'm trying to pimp him out right now to c if I can speed this process up hopin he is just a little horn ball right now.

If it was warmer out, I would go and try to catch something. Speaking of catching stuff, next time you are thinking about goin herpin in Fl, let me know. I want a retic that will fill the bed of my truck
Back to top Go down
the anti-poon

Male Posts : 707

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 6:14 pm

lol will do, that shit is going to take more than just you and me to tango with. we will need big eric and maybe some one else to grab a retic to fill the bed of your truck lol
Back to top Go down
Rollincoal420

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 6:25 pm

Well if they chicken out, I'll settle for a gator to fill the bed. If I can convince the x wife, we could just use her as bate and get the retic fat and lazy. Maybe like a piece offering.
Back to top Go down
herpinjim

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 8:27 pm

You can try a piece of shed skin on a mouse. Wet the shed and stick it on the mouse. The fresher the better. If it has been eating rodents in the past you wouldn't think it would need scent manipulation, but ya never know.
Back to top Go down
Rollincoal420

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 8:53 pm

Just a small piece? Our corn is on the verge of shedding so I'll try it when it sheds, We also have the last skin it shed 2 months ago. Kid saved it.
Back to top Go down
herpinjim

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2010, 7:36 am

The fresher the better. Good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..   Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's hear all your 'tricks' for prompting problem feeders to take their first meals..
Page 1 of 1